Every two years IMO publishes a new Amendment to the IMDG Code, incorporating changes approved by the Maritime Safety Committee (MSC). This chart shows the sequence of these Amendments. The general principle is:
- Each Amendment is valid for three years
- There are alternating years for implementation
- In January of the yellow years, a new Amendment is published and can be used immediately, subject to the timing of National Competent Authority adoption
- Also, during the yellow years, the preceding Amendment can also be used, so it is an overlap period
- In the green years only the current Amendment can be used.